Archive for September, 2009
I’m off to the Electric picnic in morning to put on a venue called the Gramophone Disco.Having been there on Tuesday and Wednesday, I can relate to you that the site is in shite and it’s cold there. If your going bring warm clothes and wellies or waders or a boat…
This track catches the vibe of what we do there.
James Luther Dickinson- O How She Dances
This is what I said about it last year ————–
Hank Penny with String Band- Blood Shot Eyes
This tune being something of an anthem at a Gramophone disco thing I do with some pals.
Gramophone disco being an all night bar with a 78’s , normal records and a pre sixties music policy. The Gramophone disco has a nice carny feel with various diversions including-
<strong>Smash hits gramophone disco.</strong>
This is where the crowd listen to a record and vote whether to smash it or whether it’s a hit and a keepy. It’s fun for a various reasons
1. Smashing records(particularly brittle shellac) is very satisfying fun.
2. It has the added bonus of being a kind of anarchist history smashing theatre.
3. When I have a enough smashed 78’s, I’m going to make a time machine out of them.
4. It’s good to crate dig in public and share the pleasure of finding an unknown great record- makes a surprisingly good entertainment.
5. It’s a way of getting people to actually listen and pay attention to old 78’s.
6. It’s a good antidote to the whole po-faced worship of the past, old records etc.
We’re doing the Electric picnic this weekend so drop in if your around and here’s another 78/tune to listen to on the drive there.
Being a mash of Nosaj Thing – ‘Coat of Arms’ and Bounty Killer – ‘Murderer’
Eomac this week with a mash that manages to be tripped out and speaker shreddingly aggressive at the same time.
‘Eomac – Killers Arms